They doors I need to go through

I get f***ing afraid of everything. That's it, I said it. It was about time.And even though I highly doubt that this confession will help me to get over it, at least it's public now.

When I was a kid I was not much afraid of darkness. Worse than that, what I could not see was what scared me so much. So there I was in bed, lights on, staring at the door of my bedroom, frightened by the infinite possible things that could come from that door. Not a serial killer or a monster, all the serial killers and monsters together. I didn't have a closet in my bedroom, though.



And that was a very simple but accurate reflection of our fears. Everyone said it already, we don`t fear what we know, we fear what we don`t know. Those very real monsters of our childhood are a simple analogy of modern grown-up-man fears. To loose a job (by quitting or getting fired), a breakup, to loose someone, to move from our city or from our current situation. It is not only the fact, it`s what happens next. Many times we are capable to handle this, and even knowing that some though decisions must be taken, we endlessly delay that moment, out of true fear. Fear ain't the rush of adrenaline that makes us scream. Instead, is a slow daily dose of vertigo that feeds this uncertainty. And we may even learn how to live with it rather than facing it.

I`m not going to be the one to tell you that you should do it, to go ahead and take a leap. That everything will be better in the end. You already know that. It`s just that sometimes is so tough to do it. If you want some phrases full of self-confidence and  satisfaction you can go elsewhere. And I am hear to admit it and be there with you.

Fear is mostly a way we adopted to deal with our limitations. I don't fear flights and heights because I know I can't fly. The fear comes from the things that we may be able to do and may fail if I take a shoot. It`s the act of paralysis itself. Not quite an epiphany, but is important to keep this in mind.

While I'm still looking for my antidote, I find inspiration and creativity as a great placebo. It may sound like procrastination, but sometimes you need to stock your toolbox before running to fix a problem. Albert said it, No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

When I was a frightened child, instead of opening that door I would yell to my daddy to come to my bedroom. And that`s necessary, we need people to be there for us. But if we want to get over it, we need to open that door, and cross it.


Inspiration. Just read it

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Lecturas: The Stranger, a graphic novel by Jacques Ferrandez based on Camus' Classic

Cabezadas bordadas.

Restauración y conservación de Libros. Una introducción